My meat consumption is no where near where it used to be before I met Abhi. And while we eat mostly vegetarian dishes this Chicken Tikka is on the top of our list for favorite foods that have come out of the kitchen. I had bought The Everything Indian Cookbook on a whim and hadn’t been that impressed with some of the recipes I tried out of it. I gave it another shot after when I wanted to fix Chicken Tikka Masala for friends that were coming over for dinner.
This is the first step of the Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe or can be eaten alone. Either way it’s delicious!
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon, or to taste, red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Tandoori Spice Mix
- 1/4 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter (or ghee), for basting
- Table salt, to taste
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Make marinade: combine yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, lemon juice, oil, red chili powder, salt, garam masala and tandoori spice mix in mixing bowl. Mix well. Add chicken cubes. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- Heat oven to 400°f.
- On a large cookie sheet spread the chicken cubes evenly. Baste with the melted butter. Roast in the hot oven for 5 min.
- Turn all of the chicken cubes over and baste with the remaining butter. Roast for another 10 min.
- Serve hot, garnished with lemon wedges.
Some of these ingredients are a little obscure so you may want to head to you nearest Asian market first.
The Ginger-garlic paste can always be substituted for fresh ginger and garlic that is finely chopped.